Routine oral care
- Clean the teeth and mouth every 4 hours and at bedtime, more often if the mucositis becomes worse
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush
- Replace the toothbrush often
- Use water-soluble lubricating jelly to moisturize the mouth
- Use antibacterial mouthwashes without alcohol.
Frequent rinsing removes particles and bacteria from the mouth, prevents crusting of sores, and moistens and soothes sore gums and the lining of the mouth. Try topical medications for pain and inflammation.
Rinse the mouth before applying the medication onto the gums or lining of the mouth. Wipe mouth and teeth gently with wet gauze or cotton swabs dipped in the topical medication to relieve and help to find wellness.